Do you remember your parents telling you to sit up straight and to stop slouching?
Good posture starts from before you are even born! The way that you are carried in the womb, the way you are held as a baby, and then progressively by the habits you form with the activities you undertake.
So why is our society in a slow decline to poor posture? We are forming bad habits from a young age and it carries though to adulthood. And don’t forget the daily mini-traumas that have more impact than you’d think!
If we adults suffer traumas (a bicycle crash, fall off a ladder, have a car accident etc.) we are checked out by our local chiropractor and supportive health professionals. So who don’t we do this for our children? Our kids are just finding their feet, learning the ways of the world, and they have accidents! They fall out of trees, fall off their bikes, get dunked by waves at the beach, and are swung around but their arms… Being a kid is full on! It is important to experience these mini traumas, but it is also important to make sure they have not affected your child’s posture.
Children are less physically active these days with the invention of the computer game, PlayStation and so forth. This means that our children sit on the school bus, sit at school, sit in front of the TV, sit in front of the computer. SIT, SIT SIT! Our kids are forming poor habits because we are allowing them to sit, and sit poorly, all the time!
We all know how important it is to have our work-station ergonomics set up to your ideal height as to alleviate the pressure on your adult spine, so why aren’t we doing it for our kids?
Tips for good posture.
– Make sure that your kids have good work-stations at home. Computers should be at eye level, feet firmly placed on the ground, and sit up straight!
– Minimize computer and TV time! It will not only help your kids’ posture, but will also improve your family connection.
– Be more physically active – Go to the park, run around, join a sporting team! An active spine is a healthy spine.
– Get your kids walk to school!
– NAG! We are giving you permission to nag! If your kids slouch, pull them up on it and make them aware of it. They might find it annoying now but they will thank you in the long run
The chiro’s here at Spine and Health can conduct a digital postural analysis of your children and discuss the results with you. If it is decided that chiropractic care can help your kids then a personalised treatment plan will be created. Your kids will receive gentle and effective adjustments that are designed for their level of development.
To ensure that your babies, kids, teenagers are on a path to good posture please call us today.
Your kids can look better, move better and feel better too.
Crows Nest Ph 9460 8459
North Sydney Ph 9955 8055